Rather than have a bunch of uncategorised links of my favourite likes and dislikes I figured I’d put together this section on the blog. If you should be working, writing or making supper for the kids – don’t go any further for I warn you now, my mortal friend, the descent into the abyss is long and there really is no spoon.
Webpages I like
Books on Writing that I Recommend
- On Writing: A memoir of the Craft, by Stephen King
- Zen in the Art of Writing, by Ray Bradbury
- Bird by Bird: Some instructions of writing & life, by Anne Lamott
- The Breakout Novelist, by Donald Maass
- How to write Science Fiction & Fantasy, by Orson Scott Card
- Fiction Writers Workshop, by Josip Novakovich
- The Elements of Style, by Willian Strunk Jr and E. B. White.
- Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, by Renni Browne & Dave King
Reference Books (other than the usual trusty dictionary)
- Flip Dictionary, by Barbara Kipfer
Books & Writing Related Websites
- Critters – Critiquing Workshops (originally only SF/F/H, now a wide variety of genres and artistic styles)
- Writing Excuses – Fifteen minutes long, because you’re in a hurry, and we’re not that smart. Writing Podcasts by Brandon Sanderson et al.
- Project Gutenberg – If I need to explain this one then you have been living under a rock.
- The Online Books Page – less well known, similar to Gutenberg
- Grammar Girl
- Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America
Publisher (or similar) Related sites
(in no particular order, if I am am feeling anal, I may alphabetise the list sometime)
- Dan Simmons (section on Writing Well)
- Brandon Sanderson
- Neil Gaiman
- Stephen King
- David Eddings
- Robin Hobb
- Michael Moorcock
- Robert A. Heinlein
- Seth Godin
- Scott Lynch
Web services, Applications & other software
- Literature & Latte – Scrivener
- WriteMonkey – zenware distraction free writing (free)
- IA Writer – Writer on iPad
- GIMP – OS Image Editing (Raster/Bitmap)
- WordPress.com – Duh!
Misc Tools writers may like (especially for Fantasy & Sci-fi)
- Seventh Sanctum – Generators for everything from names to magic potions to combat and equipment – if you are a dungeon master you probably already know about this site.
- Red Dragon Inn Generators – Town, Elven Names, Dwarven Names
- The Domesday Book – Medieval Demographics – Creates kingdoms, towns,cities etc with population sizes etc.
- The Language Construction Kit – if you are mad.
- Fantasy Name Generator
- The Academy of Saint Gabriel – various Medieval information esp. Heraldry and Names
Catchall etc. (i.e. go explore if you are curious)
- Cartographers Guild
- Brain Pickings
- Smashing Magazine
- Ars Technica
- Clarksworld Magazine